nv-l

Re: [nv-l] struggle for best approach

2006-04-10 12:09:28
Subject: Re: [nv-l] struggle for best approach
From: John M Gatrell <John.Gatrell AT uk.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 17:09:38 +0100

I think you need to make clear what info you are after and for what purpose.
Are you after an audit trail, a debug trail, statistics?
For example it is possible to get the dialin usernames and phone numbers from a Cisco AS5350
You just observe that the numbers go to the Cisco log buffer, and then configure the Cisco with
'snmp-server enable traps syslog' to convert the log to traps.

I would use the following approach (not knowing your requirements):-
Use NetView for monitoring if the AS5350 was working properly.
Get statistics on number of simultaneous users, say once a month, directly from show commands on the router.
Use a RADIUS server to validate dialin users.
Use the Cisco 'aaa accounting' commands to log usernames and success/failed dialin's to the RADIUS server.

John Gatrell