nv-l

Re: [nv-l] Cisco 3750's stackwised

2006-02-22 21:45:54
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Cisco 3750's stackwised
From: Gareth Holl <gholl AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 21:47:25 -0500

Brett, its not clear if netmon is configured to poll this device via icmp or snmp.....can you clarify please.

What version (including Fixpack & fixes) of NetView are you using and on what platform ? You may be experiencing a known problem with netmon and its use of community names.

If netmon is snmp polling, then it might not be using the correct community name. Even though you probably have the correct community name configured and snmpwalk may work, netmon might have a bad copy of the community name in its cache, or netmon might be incorrectly defaulting to "public". Demandpolls will behave the same as well. Are you able to run an iptrace, tcpdump, or snoop, etc to find out what community name it being sent out in netmon's poll.

If you have not configure netmon to poll this device via snmp per a $ entry in the netmon.seed file, then we can assume netmon is simply using icmp polls. Have you tried increasing the polling timeouts and adding additional retries ? Have you checked the netmon ping list (netmon -a 12, see output in netmon.trace) to see if there are negative numbers next the list of devices scheduled for polling ? Do you actually see the netmon ping going out and leave the box (again use iptrace/tcpdump/snoop etc). Have you tried "pinging" the device from within the NetView GUI (instead of at the command line) ?

Any chance there are duplicate IP addresses (which the current version of NetView does not handle) ? Are you seeing interfaces/nodes being deleted and re-added over and over.....check the trapd.log for patterns around the time you see the interface/node up and down events.

Are you using /etc/hosts or DNS or both. Check that forward and reverse lookups are accurate (including lookups against the short and fully qualified hostname) and ensure a /etc/hosts entry is not overriding a DNS entry you are expecting netmon to be using.

It might come down to turning on full netmon tracing (netmon -M -1,  /usr/OV/log/netmon.trace) to figure out what actions netmon is taking and what responses are logged. You could correlate the trace entries with the trapd.log and any iptracing you are able to do.

Hope this helps,

Gareth Holl
Advisory Software Engineer
Team Technical Lead

ITIL Foundations Certified
IBM Certified Deployment Professional
--Tivoli Data Warehouse v1.2
--Tivoli NetView 7.1.4

IBM Software Group - Tivoli Software
Research Triangle Park,  North Carolina, USA.

Brett <bgillmore AT gmail DOT com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com

02/22/2006 05:53 PM
Please respond to
nv-l

nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com
cc
Subject
Re: [nv-l] Cisco 3750's stackwised

Its a software loopback thats up all the time. Right now its polling every minute so it doesn't seem to be cisco issue. Ran a continues ping to the ip from a different box and it still droped the loopback down on the netview box. This problem is weird and I'm baffled.

Can snmpwalk the device just fine with the provided community string also.

Thanks all for any suggestions

Any other ideas?