nv-l

Re: [nv-l] snmp polled does not give good status?

2005-11-28 04:36:20
Subject: Re: [nv-l] snmp polled does not give good status?
From: Maxime TRANNOY <MTRANNOY AT fr.ibm DOT com>
To: Paul Stroud <nvladmin AT gmail DOT com>, nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 10:33:39 +0100
I've done

delete device
ovmapcount -a
ovmapcount -b
ovtopofix -A

Nmdemandpoll device and the problem still.

Kind Regards/Cordialement/S pozdravem.

Maxime TRANNOY
IGS - Network Delivery Support Center
Tel : +33 (0) 492 114 767
mailto:mtrannoy AT fr.ibm DOT com

             Paul Stroud
             <[email protected]
                                       Maxime
             25-11-2005 17:00          TRANNOY/France/Contr/IBM@IBMFR
                                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [nv-l] snmp polled does not
                                       give good status?

Sounds like maybe the entire device is not being removed as expected.
I would delete the bad objects, stop the map, stop netmon, and run:
ovmapcount -a
ovtopofix -A

then restart the map and see if the devices are discovered properly.
Make sure you have a good back before you attempt this!

Paul

Maxime TRANNOY wrote:

> [...]

>>15:53:34     scheduled configuration check at 11/26/05 14:24:01
>>15:53:34     scheduled new node poll at 11/25/05 15:54:36
>>15:53:34       auto-adjusted polling interval is 900 seconds
>>15:53:34   Get system identifier
>>15:53:40     SNMP request timed out (192.168.126.1)
>>15:53:40   Verify node name
>>15:53:40     node name verified to be Device-name2
>>15:53:40 ***** End of demand poll for node Device-name2
>>
>>And this is for me is the normal behaviour of an nmdemandpoll for an snmp
>>polled device with a wrong community.
>>
>>Kind Regards/Cordialement/S pozdravem.
>>
>>Maxime TRANNOY
>>IGS - Network Delivery Support Center
>>Tel : +33 (0) 492 114 767
>>mailto:mtrannoy AT fr.ibm DOT com
>>

>>            Francois Le Hir
>>

>>            <flehir AT ca.ibm DOT co
>>

>>            m>                                                         To
>>

>>            Sent by:                  nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com
>>

>>            owner-nv-l@lists.                                          cc
>>

>>            us.ibm.com
>>

>>                                                                  Subject
>>

>>                                      Re: [nv-l] snmp polled does not
>>

>>            25-11-2005 15:08          give good status?
>>

>>            Please respond to
>>

>>                  nv-l

>>Maxime,
>>
>>if you do:
>>xnmsnmpconf -res <device selection name>
>>
>>What do you get ? Is it the correct community string ?
>>
>>when you do:
>>snmpwalk <device selection name> system
>>
>>do you get an answer other than time out ?
>>
>>If the answer is yes to both question it means that Netview has the
>>

>correct
>

>>community string.
>>You can also do a quicktest on the device to check that netview is really
>>using snmp for polling and to see what answer it gets.
>>
>>Salutations, / Regards,
>>
>>Francois Le Hir
>>Network Projects & Consulting Services
>>IBM Global Services
>>Phone: (514) 964 2145
>>

>>            Maxime TRANNOY
>>            <MTRANNOY AT fr DOT ibm.
>>            com>                                                       To
>>            Sent by:                  <nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com>
>>            owner-nv-l@lists.                                          cc
>>            us.ibm.com
>>                                                                  Subject
>>                                      [nv-l] snmp polled does not give
>>            11/25/2005 08:47          good status?
>>            AM
>>

>>            Please respond to
>>                  nv-l
>>

>>Hello netview 7.1.4 FP2 on AIX.
>>
>>I ask my netview to load devices and to snmp polled them.
>>I put 2 entry in the seed file
>>A.B.C.D
>>$A.B.C.D
>>
>>The devices for the moment is configured with a wrong community but is
>>reachable by ping so could be discovered.
>>
>>But netview instead of showing the device interface Down (because netview
>>could not reach the device with SNMP), Netview shows the device with an
Up