nv-l

RE: [nv-l] ITSA and 6509

2005-11-24 06:22:53
Subject: RE: [nv-l] ITSA and 6509
From: REIBENSCHUH Alfred <alfred.reibenschuh AT it-austria DOT com>
To: "'nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com'" <nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 12:22:17 +0100

ENTITY-MIB::entLogicalCommunity (1.3.6.1.2.1.47.1.2.1.1.4) is defined as:

      An SNMPv1 or SNMPv2C community-string which can be used to
      access detailed management information for this logical
      entity.  The agent should allow read access with this
      community string (to an appropriate subset of all managed
      objects) and may also return a community string based on the
      privileges of the request used to read this object.  Note
      that an agent may return a community string with read-only
      privileges, even if this object is accessed with a read-
      write community string. However, the agent must take care
      not to return a community string which allows more
      privileges than the community string used to access this
      object.

      A compliant SNMP agent may wish to conserve naming scopes by
      representing multiple logical entities in a single 'default'
      naming scope.  This is possible when the logical entities
      represented by the same value of entLogicalCommunity have no
      object instances in common.  For example, 'bridge1' and
      'repeater1' may be part of the main naming scope, but at
      least one additional community string is needed to represent
      'bridge2' and 'repeater2'.

      Logical entities 'bridge1' and 'repeater1' would be
      represented by sysOREntries associated with the 'default'
      naming scope.

      For agents not accessible via SNMPv1 or SNMPv2C, the value
      of this object is the empty string.  This object may also
      contain an empty string if a community string has not yet
      been assigned by the agent, or no community string with
      suitable access rights can be returned for a particular SNMP
      request.

      Note that this object is deprecated. Agents which implement
      SNMPv3 access should use the entLogicalContextEngineID and
      entLogicalContextName objects to identify the context
      associated with each logical entity.  SNMPv3 agents may
      return a zero-length string for this object, or may continue
      to return a community string (e.g., tri-lingual agent
      support).

so an:

snmpwalk -v 1 -c 'community' hostname .1.3.6.1.2.1.47.1.2.1.1.4

should return all supported community-indexes on complient devices (mostly cisco).

cheers,
--
Alfred Reibenschuh
INFORMATIONSTECHNOLOGIE AUSTRIA GMBH