nv-l

Re: [nv-l] ITSA and 6509

2005-11-22 16:08:07
Subject: Re: [nv-l] ITSA and 6509
From: "Sandro P. Seminara" <spseminara AT yahoo DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 13:07:37 -0800 (PST)
I thought I'd add some additional information

If a device is configured in the l2_polling.cfg file, then it will be processed as follows:

1) If it is a layer 2 device (i.e. configured in l2_oids.cfg) AND it is not
a gateway (i.e. only has one interface), then it will be fully discovered.
This means that all ports will be discovered and devices will be connected
to those ports. In addition, PSM will monitor all of the discovered ports.

2) If it is a multi-layer switch (i.e. configured as a gateway and/or has
multiple interfaces), then only the ports will be discovered, but devices
will not be connected to those ports. PSM will monitor all of the
discovered ports.

Nothing is done for multi-layer switches that are NOT configured in l2_polling.cfg.

Jane Curry <jane.curry AT skills-1st.co DOT uk> wrote:
Thanks for this Sandro.

Can I just check your snmpwalk command here (I am using the NetView
snmpwalk so probably slightly different syntax from yours). You have:
snmpwalk -c publice@1 system

Are you saying the community name is publice or is the "e" on the end a
typo??

I assume you are trying to get the system table?

I have tried:
\usr\ov\bin\snmpwalk -c public@1 system

...which works fine. However I have also tried:
\usr\ov\bin\snmpwalk -c public@2 system
to get info from VLAN2 and I get no response.

I'm not sure why you say the top command tests whether a device supports
CSI???

Cheers,
Jane