nv-l

Réf. : [nv-l] Virtual Routing and Forwarding (VRF)

2005-11-07 10:58:06
Subject: Réf. : [nv-l] Virtual Routing and Forwarding (VRF)
From: thierry.van-mol AT ciev.vd DOT ch
To: nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 16:56:51 +0100

Well, the question is where do you plan to put Netview,
and what do you want to manage? I mean, is Netview on a LAN which
is itself in a VRF, or is it in a LAN which is in the Global Routing table?

If you want to manage several VRF, it may be a good ideas to create a
special "management vrf" which imports the route of all the VRF you want
to manage. On the other side, you need to export also the routes of this
"management vrf" to all other vrf's. You place then Netview in a LAN which is
in this "management VRF". Netview is not "aware" of VRF in the routers, you
don't get, by default, any special maps, by vrf, etc. But at least you can manage
all the PE and CE of your network.

If you need also to manage the backbone, you need also to connect in a way
this "management vrf" to the Global Routing table. There are tricks to do that, but
all this depends of your design: routing protocols used, etc.

Regarding technical papers,  I highly recommends all Jim Guichard books on the subjet
of MPLS VPN. There are 3, all published by Cisco Press.

Thierry