nv-l

Re: [nv-l] xnmsnmp* applicable to Netview Windows?

2005-11-03 09:17:14
Subject: Re: [nv-l] xnmsnmp* applicable to Netview Windows?
From: Michael D Schleif <mds AT helices DOT org>
To: nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 08:16:30 -0600
James =>

Thank you, for your attention to this matter.  Please, see comments
inline:

* James Shanks <jshanks AT us.ibm DOT com> [2005:11:02:17:05:58-0500] scribed:
> You are comparing apples to oranges.  Learning NetView for Windows after
> learning NetView for UNIX is not so easy.  There are major differences.
> You cannot even count on the UNIX commands you are used to having the same
> name in NetView for Windows.  For example, there are no commands which
> begin with "xnm" because Windows does not support  X11 programming.  It has
> it's own GUI requirements.

Yes, I know that these are two distinct species ;>

I am an analog geek in a digital world; so, I am always seeking CLI
solutions.  That way, I can automate tasks that are tedious in a GUI.  I
was not thinking X11 when I thought back to the xnmsnmp* tools.  When I
search this list, or google, &c., many things that I want to do are
documented via xnmsnmp* CLI, and I am somewhat frustrated with that in
this Windows environment.  I searched the NV/Win filesystem, and found
files with same names; but, clearly they are not executable; nor are
they documented -- hence my request for clarification.

> NetView for UNIX and NetView for Windows share some code, but they are not
> identical, and this is especially true of the command line interfaces.
> Windows itself, is much more of a GUI-based OS, and the folks who developed
> NetView for Windows using NetView for UNIX as a base did not care much for
> command line utilities.

OK.

> The GUI for  SNMP configuration on Windows can be started from the command
> line by entering just "snmpconf" for snmpconf.exe.  It has no command line
> options.

OK -- that clarifies that.

> The reg stuff you have found pertains to the general NetView GUI and should
> not be modified.

    <Drive>:\usr\ov\reg\advanced\c\

How is this stuff used in the Windows environment.  OK, do not change
them; but, why are they there?  What purpose do they server?  If they
disappear, will bad things happen?

> Executable commands will be found in \usr\ov\bin,

OK.  I will accept this as a hard and fast rule.

> and those that are documented will be found listed in the NetView
> Programmer's Reference,

OK -- this, too -- hard and fast rule.

> which is installed under \usr\ov\books.  The most current examples of the
> books have not yet been shipped but are available on line at
> http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v3r1/index.jsp?toc=/com.ibm.itnetview.doc/toc.xml
<snip />

Yes, I have already found this; and, it has been remarkably valuable.

So, do I understand correctly that there are NOT corollary CLI's under
NV/Win?

Thank you, for your attention to these matters.  I truly appreciate the
pointers.

--
Best Regards,

mds