nv-l

Re: [nv-l] Two location files

2005-09-20 11:47:16
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Two location files
From: Leslie Clark <lclark AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:46:11 -0400

It will apply the location.conf to new things added to the map. Whatever location.conf is in effect at the time the ipmap process starts is the one that is used for new things. And don't try moving things while location.conf is in effect. So if you close all maps, then swap the location.conf, then start the new map from the commandline
     netview -map test2
it will create that map called test2 from the current objects without rediscovering them and place them according to the new location.conf.

This will soon become unmanagable. But you could do it to get your locations and routers placed, and then discard both location.conf files and do your ongoing maintenance manually.

Cordially,

Leslie A. Clark
(248) 552-4968 Voicemail, Fax, Pager

Mario Behring <mariobehring AT yahoo DOT com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com

09/20/2005 10:23 AM
Please respond to
nv-l

NetView List <nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com>
cc
Subject
[nv-l] Two location files

Hi list,

Does anybody know if it is possible to have two different maps using
different location files on the same NV box ?

I want to have two different views of the environment, one geographical
and the other one logical (or by function). To accomplish that I was
hoping I could use two different location files....but it seems to me that
NV only looks for a "location.conf" file when it is discovering the
network...is it possible to use another file ?

Thanks in advance.

Mario