nv-l

Re: [nv-l] ? about monitoring event logs on Windows 200x

2005-07-26 10:39:29
Subject: Re: [nv-l] ? about monitoring event logs on Windows 200x
From: James Shanks <jshanks AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:38:52 -0400
I believe that eventwin is only supported on Windows 2000 Server  and
Windows 2000 Advanced Server.  I don't think workstations are supported.

>From :  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q318464

It certainly is not installed on my XP Pro Workstation by default.

As for Glen's question about how to monitor a service that doesn't listen
to a port, I'm completely  baffled.
If you take a look at /usr/OV/conf/servmon.conf you'll see why I'm asking.
servmon is all about  trying to connect to a designated port on a remote
box to find out whether there is anything listening on it.  That's port
sniffing, which is how an outside agent would determine that box such-and
such has something running on it which is listening on that port.  I don't
have any idea how an external agent would determine that a service which
did not use a port was active, unless there is a MIB you could query, such
as the HOST-RESOURCES MIB or something more vendor-specific.  In fact, I
don't even understand what kind  of a service that would be exactly.  How
would another user access it if not by port?

So far as I can see if it doesn't use a port, then you cannot use servmon
to monitor it, and you would need some other tool running on the box to do
it for you, which might very well mean that you cannot do it  without
purchasing additional software.

James Shanks
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group