nv-l

[nv-l] ? about monitoring event logs on Windows 200x

2005-07-25 19:48:05
Subject: [nv-l] ? about monitoring event logs on Windows 200x
From: "Glen Warn" <Glen.Warn AT pemcocorp DOT com>
To: <nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 16:48:12 -0700
Hi,

Running 7.1.4 FP3 on Redhat AS 2.1.  Would like to know if anyone has a way (without buying extra S/W) to monitoring Windows event logs for certain events - then send a trap on them?  If not, are there favorites for shrink wrapped event log monitor solutioins?

Second question, I've seen several good threads on monitoring services using servmon - but I need to monitor some services that don't "listen" on a specific port.  I know I can query for services and running state, but I'm a very low skilled coder and am unsure how to create logic that would ID a specific service, and detect that it is NOT active.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated,

Glen Warn
PEMCO Corporation Computer Services (PCCS)
206-628-5770