nv-l

RE: [nv-l] Altiga Cisco VPN concentrator Trap defintions!

2005-07-21 15:06:47
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Altiga Cisco VPN concentrator Trap defintions!
From: "Barr, Scott" <Scott_Barr AT csgsystems DOT com>
To: <nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 14:06:08 -0500
I don't work on them anymore but I did in the past.

Cisco is pulling your leg.

In the syslog configuration on the device you can set 9 levels of
logging from like 15 different topics. Then you can specify what log
messages to turn into snmp events.

And then the fun begins.

Depending on your ios version, the concentrator sends in all sorts of
different formats. In our case, we wanted to know when tunnels came up
and down. Well it turned out that this actually was in the user signon
log event. Our concentrator code supported both concentrators for public
users and also for private connections.

But the trap that comes in varies widely in spacing, verbage and format.
We upgraded IOS versions and trashed the automation. Worse yet, they all
come in as the same enterprise trap so you must have some backend
parsing.

Cisco is telling you that there are few traps supported because I
believe the SNMP agent itself doesn't generate much - all are syslog
traps that we worked with.

I'm going to email you what work I had done already pending approval
from my previous manager.