nv-l

RE: [nv-l] Contents of /usr/OV/PD/FFDC directory ?

2005-07-04 12:01:11
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Contents of /usr/OV/PD/FFDC directory ?
From: "Evans, Bill" <Bill.Evans AT hq.doe DOT gov>
To: "'nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com'" <nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 11:59:57 -0400

Our gurus are on holiday.  I’ll try to fill in.

FFDC stands for “First Failure Data Capture”.  It’s taken more than twenty years to get the idea universally into IBM code.  The idea is that we store the information related to a failure before the world falls apart and it will be easier to figure out what went wrong.

I believe the directory is world writable because NetView tasks need not be executed under the same ownership as the directory.  The directory would normally be owned by root since NetView is installed by root and the primary NetView tasks are executed by root.  Many tasks such as SNMPWALK do not require root access but may fail.  Any user who opens a read-only map is probably operating under a non-root userid and should that task fail we want to catch the problem determination data.

Bill Evans

Tivoli NetView support for DOE

Retired IBM mainframe programmer