nv-l

Re: [nv-l] Disk and load monitoring on Linux and Windows Servers

2005-05-26 09:51:21
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Disk and load monitoring on Linux and Windows Servers
From: Joe Fernandez <jfernand AT kardinia DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 23:41:16 +1000
Samuel,

The MIB variables that you refer to

hrStorageUsed   .1.3.6.1.2.1.25.2.3.1.6.
hrStorageSize     .1.3.6.1.2.1.25.2.3.1.5.

are in an  IETF standard MIB, the Host Resources MIB.

The Description in this MIB says:

"This MIB is for use in managing host systems.....
This MIB instruments attributes common to all internet hosts including, for example, both personal computers and systems that run variants of Unix."

The Host Resources MIB was defined in RFC 1514 and has been updated in RFC 2790.

You can find it in the SNMP MIBs directory on your NetView system

Then you need agents that implement the Host Resources MIB on your servers.

SNMP Research is a vendor that provides an agent that implements the Host Resources MIB and a variety of other MIBs that might be relvant, such as the Systems Application MIB. Their agent runs on Windows, Linux, FreeBSD and other operating systems. See www.snmp.com for more information.

(and in the interests of disclosure, I should say that they are a partner company.)