nv-l

Re: [nv-l] Authorization Failure - format Error

2005-05-23 09:04:03
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Authorization Failure - format Error
From: James Shanks <jshanks AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 09:03:32 -0400
First, the trap failure message, FMT ERROR: accessing element #1, only 0
available, means that this trap is configured to show $1, but in fact, the
sender of the trap is not sending any variables at all.  So you will need
to change the trap settings (use trap.exe) message to not include any
variables.

Second, if the device sending you the trap does not identify the agent
which is committing the invalid authentication, then you will have to go to
the sending device itself and look at its logs there to find out.  I'm not
a Cisco network engineer, so you should ask your question of someone who
is, or get help from Cisco themselves.

James Shanks
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

             "Anvaj A B"
             <anvaj.aliyarukut
             ty AT ustri DOT com>
             Sent by:                  <nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com>

             owner-nv-l@lists.                                          cc
             us.ibm.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       [nv-l] Authorization Failure -
             05/23/2005 01:22          format Error
             AM

             Please respond to
                   nv-l

I am using Netview 7.1.4 FP03 on Win2K Server.  I am getting quite lot of
authorization failure from one of my Cisco PIX 515E firewall.  But from the
message I am not able to find out the IP address of the device which is
trying to access. I have checked the snmp configuration on NetView for this
device and found everything correct, and Polling the device with correct
string.

Below is the message. How will I identify the source IP?

authenticationFailure trap received from enterprise cisco with 0 arguments:
authAddr=FMT ERROR: accessing element #1, only 0 available

Best regards,

Anvaj Aliyarukutty
Global Network Operations Center (GNOC)
US Technology