nv-l

RE: [nv-l] Threshold Levels

2005-05-05 08:43:55
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Threshold Levels
From: usman.taokeer AT s-iii DOT com
To: nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 17:44:15 +0500

Colins,

Thanks it worked! :)

~Usman

"Colin Mulkerrins" <Colin.Mulkerrins AT anpost DOT ie>
Sent by: owner-nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com

04-05-05 03:57 PM
Please respond to
nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com

<nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com>
cc
Subject
RE: [nv-l] Threshold Levels

Usman,

Are you running NetView on AIX? My suggestions may be redundant if you are not, but you could try anyway

You need to use interface instance numbers to collect the required data.

For example the collection for ifBitsin runs an snmpget on the following mib (and multiplies the answer by 8)

1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.10.
(Translates to... iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifInOctets.)

To collect the data an instance number must be appended to the end of the mib.  The instance number can be obtained from .iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.interfaces. (I use the mib browser to get this data)

e.g. if you want to collect data for a serial interface, you must first get the instance number for that interface (see above) and add that to the end of the mib... so if the instance number for the serial interface is 5 you would be looking for the following

1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.10.5.

You can test this from the command line using snmpget

snmpget -c <community name> <router name> 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.10.5.

When you want to collect the data using the MIB Data collection you need to add the required instance numbers in the collection details window (Instances From List) (multiple comma seperated instances can be entered)

or select All Instances if you want to collect data from all interfaces on the router.

Apologies if this is too basic or not what you wanted...

Regs

Colin M.