nv-l

RE: [nv-l] trap format not right!

2005-02-18 17:35:42
Subject: RE: [nv-l] trap format not right!
From: "Evans, Bill" <Bill.Evans AT hq.doe DOT gov>
To: "'nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com'" <nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 17:34:26 -0500

This is a common problem for new NetView users, Larry.  Loading the MIBs does nothing for traps. Loading MIBs allows the MIB Browsers and their cousins to function correctly.

The data you appended is enough for a manual customization of the trapd.conf file.  You have to either manually customize traps using the trap tool (xnmtrap is the command line entry to open the interface) or you need to see if the trap you are interested in is defined in the MIBs.  (Directly editing trapd.conf is not recommended.) Usually the definition is at the end of the MIB file.  Then you run MIB2TRAP, make sure the Enterprise ID exists in the output file, then execute the output file (it contains ADDTRAP commands).

Failing to have all the dependencies in place is the biggest problem. It usually results in the Enterprise ID not being present in the ADDTRAP commands which are created.  You can add it manually if it's not there.

Good luck.

Bill Evans
Tivoli NetView support for DOE