nv-l

Re: [nv-l] Ruleset Editor not displaying correct ruleset definitions

2004-12-15 15:59:17
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Ruleset Editor not displaying correct ruleset definitions
From: James Shanks <jshanks AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 15:58:40 -0500

The only way this could happen is if the ruleset was not saved correctly the first time, or if by some wild chance, you have a lot of old copies in your /usr/OV/conf/rulesets directory and the random name generator just happened to create a name for the temp copy (use for editing) which in fact already existed. That would be very rare indeed.

Go to /usr/OV/conf/rulesets and delete everything that doesn't have a suffix of ".rs" or ".BAK" . Those are temp copies that are left if the editor is killed rather than exited. Make sure you have space in /usr/OV before continuing. You could also examine /usr/OV/log/nvrsEdit.alog and blog for error messages.

Then I'd edit your broken ruleset again, fix it the way you want, and carefully save it. Then close the editor and restart it again. If it is still broken, then you'll have to call Support. They'll want you to do the thing again, this time with a trace.
To get a trace you have to issue
export AOTDEBUG=0xffffffff
from the command window in which you will start the editor. Then issue nvrsEdit and go. The trace is written to nvrsEdit.alog and blog. Only errors are written there if the environment variable is not exported.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group
Inactive hide details for "Clinkscales, Charles" <cclinkscales AT firstam DOT com>"Clinkscales, Charles" <cclinkscales AT firstam DOT com>

          "Clinkscales, Charles" <cclinkscales AT firstam DOT com>
          Sent by: owner-nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com

          12/15/2004 02:34 PM
          Please respond to
          nv-l

"'nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com'" <nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com>

cc

Subject

[nv-l] Ruleset Editor not displaying correct ruleset definitions

Hello All - I am running Tivioli Netview 7.1.4 Fixpatch 1 on AIX 5.1.

I have been able to successfully create the ruleset I needed and add it to a workspace. The ruleset functions perfectly. However, when I return to the Ruleset editor and open my ruleset for further editing, it displays a lot more than what I had created.

Example: The ruleset I created and saved had...
4 Trap Settings icons

4 Event Attributes icons

4 Override icons

4 Forward icons

When I re-open the Ruleset editor and open my saved ruleset it shows...
5 Trap Settings icons

8 Event Attributes icons

7 Override icons

6 Forward icons

These "extra" icons appear to just be duplicates of what I have already defined.

Thanks in advance for your support,

Charlie Clinkscales

GIF image

GIF image