nv-l

[nv-l] Ruleset filter question

2004-12-14 09:22:02
Subject: [nv-l] Ruleset filter question
From: "Freter, Craig" <Craig.Freter AT ssa DOT gov>
To: "'nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com'" <nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 09:21:18 -0500
Hello,

I have a question regarding how to use NetView rulesets to Filter events. I
created a ruleset, WAN_links.rs, that queries 5 different smartsets before
forwarding the traps.

Here is the text of the ruleset

RuleSet21 RuleSet NVQryColl22 NVQryColl24 NVQryColl26 NVQryColl28
NVQryColl30
"" 0
NVQryColl22 NVQryColl ForwardCorr23
Origin Serial_Device 1 ""
ForwardCorr23 ForwardCorr
""
NVQryColl24 NVQryColl ForwardCorr25
Origin HSSI_Device 1 ""
ForwardCorr25 ForwardCorr
""
NVQryColl26 NVQryColl ForwardCorr27
Origin Tunnel_Device 1 ""
ForwardCorr27 ForwardCorr
""
NVQryColl28 NVQryColl ForwardCorr29
Origin Multilink_Device 1 ""
ForwardCorr29 ForwardCorr
""
NVQryColl30 NVQryColl ForwardCorr31
Origin POS_Device 1 ""
ForwardCorr31 ForwardCorr
""

I did NOT add this ruleset to file ESE.automation, as there is no action
associated with it. It will only forward traps for the purpose of filtering.

In order to test I started a NetView web console session, opened the Event
Browser, and selected ruleset WAN_links.rs. I then used the event command to
send a trap to NetView.

event -E 0058916867 -h "xxx-xxx-xxx-n4ea1.xxx.xxx:Serial0/0.2" -a "test
event"

This event show up in the "All Events" filter, but not in the WAN_links.rs
filter.
I verified that object "xxx-xxx-xxx-n4ea1.xxx.xxx:Serial0/0.2" is part of
smartset Serial_Device using command:
nvUtil l Serial_Device | grep n4ea1

Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong, or what I should try next?

Thanks.

--
Craig Freter