nv-l

RE: [nv-l] identical Netview environnement when modification

2004-11-17 08:58:21
Subject: RE: [nv-l] identical Netview environnement when modification
From: "D'Apice, Dominic" <D.D'Apice AT SAQ.qc DOT ca>
To: "'nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com'" <nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 08:57:36 -0500
thanks to all

Dominic

-----Message d'origine-----
De : owner-nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com [mailto:owner-nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT
com]De
la part de Jane Curry
Envoyé : Wednesday, November 17, 2004 7:52
À : nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com

Many thanks for this, Bill.  I have put it on the NetView TUG site under
"Config Management -> NetView FailOver mechanism".  The URL is:
http://www.nv-l.org/twiki/bin/view/Netview/ConfigMgmt

Feel free to modify / update it.  Note that anyone can make
modifications that they contribute back to the community - the great
thing about the TWiki mechanism is that it keeps older versions of pages
so you can get various versions of contributions if you wish to.

Cheers,
Jane

Evans, Bill wrote:

> This worked to keep two machines in sync at one account I worked.  It
> was run every night from a cron job on the primary host and the trap
> sent to the backup host caused it to run there. It could as well be
> run manually or by cron on the backup machine.  It may require some
> tuning and definitely requires trap definition on the backup machine.
>
> Happy reverse engineering.
>
> NETVIEW_BACKUP
>
> set -x
> SourceHost="<hostname>"
> BackupHost="<backup_hostname"
> TrapParameters='6 1999 0 .1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.3.1.1.1.0 OctetString "Normal"'
> date_qual=`date | awk '{print $2 $3 }'`    # Derive a unique date
> qualifier
>
> # do some periodic maintenance on the databases so we save clean ones
> ovstop netmon                            # stop the network daemon
> ovtopofix -a                             # clean up the topology DB
> ovmapcount -u                            # clean up the map DB
>
> # Copy the content of the configuration and databases into a unique file
> # Note: we may want to include a subset of the configuration if each
> site needs uniqueness
> tar -cvf /usr/OV/backup_data/${date_qual}_conf.tar /usr/OV/conf/*
> /usr/OV/www/conf/*
> tar -cvf /usr/OV/backup_data/${date_qual}_ovdb.tar
> /usr/OV/databases/openview/*
>
> ovstart netmon                            # restart the network daemon
>
> # Compress the files so they will transfer quickly.
> compress /usr/OV/backup_data/${date_qual}_conf.tar
> compress /usr/OV/backup_data/${date_qual}_ovdb.tar
>
> # Transfer the files to the backup server through the utility account
> cp /usr/OV/backup_data/${date_qual}_conf.tar.Z /home/nvadmin/conf.tar.Z
> cp /usr/OV/backup_data/${date_qual}_ovdb.tar.Z /home/nvadmin/ovdb.tar.Z
>
> # Policy determination is that we will use {NFS|RCP|TFTP} initiated
> from the backup site
> # to transfer these files when the following trap is received.
>
> # Forward a unique custom trap to the backup host to initiate the
> companion restore on that system
> /usr/OV/bin/snmptrap ${BackupHost} .1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.3 &${SourceHost}
> ${TrapParameters}
>
> # snmptrap [-d] [-t timeout] [-r retries] [-p port] [-c community]
> #      node enterprise-oid agent-addr generic-trap specific-trap
> time-stamp
> #      [variable type value]
> #   see the man page for snmptrap for details
>
> NETVIEW_RESTORE
>
> #
> #  This process pulls the copies of the weekly backup of the
> configuration
> #  and databases from the primary NetView server followed by the
> decompression
> #  of those files and their placement in the NetView directory tree.
> #  This process is expected to be run when the custom NetView6000 trap
> 1999 is received.
> #

> [...]

Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565
Copyright (c) 2004 Jane Curry <jane.curry AT skills-1st.co DOT uk>.  All rights
reserved.