nv-l

Re: RES: [nv-l] ovtstatus ** Correction ** Update **

2004-11-12 19:39:44
Subject: Re: RES: [nv-l] ovtstatus ** Correction ** Update **
From: George deSocio <desocio AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 19:39:05 -0500

It would be nice if I had put all this in one post... oh well.

If you have a FixPack on, you can get ovstart, ovstop, and ovstatus to your current FixPack level by extracting ovstart, ovstop, and ovstatus from your current FixPack tar.Z  file using zcat and tar and manually put them in place.  Check the names in the tar.Z file as they are suffixed and need to be renamed when put in /usr/OV/bin.  Also check permissions.

You can also backout and install your current FixPack.  BUT, for this to work, you must have the previous level of the programs (just prior) to the FixPack in place in /usr/OV/bin before you backout the FixPack.  Otherwise the FixPack scripts will fail.  The prevous-level program backups are in /usr/OV/service/V714/FixPack[1|2] as ovst*.0   The ovst*.0 files are the ones replaced when the FixPack was installed.   Copy these ovst*.0 to their original locations, be sure to name them without the .0 and check the permissions.  Then you can proceed to backout and install the FixPack.

If you don't have a FixPack on, the following will recover the ovstart, ovstop, and ovstatus programs from the product CDROM.

Warning:  This is NOT safe to do for any file that is configured during installation, or any file that is updated by a test-fix from support, or any file that is updated by a fixpack!!  This can only be done on a case-by-case basis.  You can potentially destroy your NetView and NetView databases if you regress or unconfigure components of NetView.  Please understand what you are doing.  I recommend that you perform this procedure on a non-NetView, non-Framework AIX box somewhere, if you have the resources available.

First you need to locate the program "sapack".  If you are on a system that has Framework installed, it should be in $BINDIR/TAS/Install.  If you are not Framework-based or you are going to do this on a non-NetView, non-Framework AIX box somewhere (recommended) it is supplied in cdrom/instbund/bin/aix5-r1.

1. Locate your NetView 7.1.4 for AIX CDROM;  mount it

2. Create a new directory where you have lots of space.  Specifically you should have 200 megabytes free.

3. cd into the new directory.  This is very important.  You can kiss your NetView good-bye if you are in / (root) after this.

4. read 3 again.

4a.  run this command:

     export o_dispatch=123  (or some other number of destination dispatcher (oserv port) not in use in the region)

5.  run this command  (example path to sapack on cdrom shown):

     /mnt/instbund/bin/aix5-r1/sapack  -u  /mnt/FILE30.PKT

6. cd  usr/OV/bin  (note: no leading /   this is a usr/OV/bin that is relative to the directory created in step 2)

7. cp  ovst*  /usr/OV/bin

Now your ovstatus, ovstart, and ovstop are restored to 7.1.4 base level

8. run the following:

     ls  -ial  /usr/OV/bin/ovst*

All three programs should have the same inode number and length.

If any of this is a problem, open a problem with support and then we can send you the code.

Regards,
Geo.

George deSocio
IBM Americas Support - Distributed Network Management
Dept 46-E1ZA
IBM B660  CC109
HWY 54 & 600 Park Offices
Research Triangle Park, NC  27709

919-254-2259 (T/L 444)  Fax: 919-543-7936 (T/L 441)

E-Mail:  desocio AT us.ibm DOT com

George deSocio/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
Sent by: owner-nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com

11/12/2004 04:47 PM
Please respond to
nv-l

nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com
cc
Subject
Re: RES: [nv-l] ovtstatus

Correction: When you overlay one, you overlay all, since the three names are all hard links to one file.  That is one file with three names.  Thus you have no ovstart, ovstop, ovstatus program.

If you have your cdrom available, I'll send you a solution... give me a few minutes...

Regards,
Geo.

George deSocio
IBM Americas Support - Distributed Network Management
Dept 46-E1ZA
IBM B660  CC109
HWY 54 & 600 Park Offices
Research Triangle Park, NC  27709

919-254-2259 (T/L 444)  Fax: 919-543-7936 (T/L 441)

E-Mail:  desocio AT us.ibm DOT com

"Eduardo Oliveira Scricco (Service)" <escricco AT rge-rs.com DOT br>
Sent by: owner-nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com

11/12/2004 03:02 PM
Please respond to
nv-l

<nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com>
cc
Subject
RES: [nv-l] ovtstatus

Thanks, James.

In my case, I have done some stupid thing like "./ovstatus >> ovstatus" (I've missed the .txt or something else to the output) and this replaced my ovstatus, as like ovstart and ovstop.

And unfortunetlly I only have backup from databases, logs and confs, not from bin directory.

Maybe some good soul can email me this! I will be grateful!

(Netview 7.1.4 for Unix...) ;)

Thanks again,

Eduardo