nv-l

Re: [nv-l] Does NetView send flood-pings?

2004-11-10 13:36:07
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Does NetView send flood-pings?
From: James Shanks <jshanks AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 13:35:13 -0500

netmon on UNIX does not broadcast pings, though there is a ping spray option in the Windows version, which was put in for  special circumstances, such as the case where quick discovery is wanted of the local subnet and the devices don't normally talk to one another and don't have SNMP enabled.  We call it the "trade show option" because it was originally added as a marketing request so they could more easily demo the product at trade shows.

But netmon on UNIX has no such option.  Are you certain that all the pings are for the firewall, and not destined for objects beyond the firewall?  Unless you specify the "$" before them in the seed file so that they are queried only by SNMP, they will be pinged for status, on a regular basis, as determined by the entries in xnmsnmpconf.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

wolfgang.nilz AT arz.co DOT at
Sent by: owner-nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com

11/10/2004 09:12 AM
Please respond to
nv-l

nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com
cc
Subject
[nv-l] Does NetView send flood-pings?

Hi list-members!

We have NetView 7.1.3 Fixpak 2 on AIX 5.1 .

My firewall-colleague complained that our netview-node sends flood-pings to some of their firewalls.

Well we manage these firewalls (they have a snmp-client) and the LANs behind them. The ping couldn't be done by an Operator because it is repeated in a certain time-period (according to the firewall-log).

Could it be that the discovery-process uses flood-pings?

If yes - could it be customized?

Sincerely,

Wolfgang Nilz
Allgemeines Rechenzentrum GmbH
Netzwerkgruppe
Wide Area Networks

A-6020 Innsbruck, Tschamlerstraße 2

Tel.: +43 / (0)504009-1292
Fax: +43 / (0)504009-1382
E-Mail:
wolfgang.nilz AT arz.co DOT at
http://www.arz.co.at

Disclaimer:
Diese Nachricht dient ausschließlich zu Informationszwecken und ist nur für den Gebrauch des Empfängers bestimmt.

This message is only for informational purposes and is intended solely for the use of the addressee.