nv-l

RE: [nv-l] Object Turn Red after Ping

2004-11-05 15:43:50
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Object Turn Red after Ping
From: "Barr, Scott" <Scott_Barr AT csgsystems DOT com>
To: <nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 14:42:43 -0600

I have managed to have this problem several times. This is how it happened to me:

  1. Put a Solaris box in my seed file with SNMP polling forced.
  2. Do not specify a community string in xnmsmpconf (this is the mistake)
  3. Discover the box using netmon –y
  4. Short time later, box shows up in discovery – red
  5. Ping the box – green
  6. Short time later box turns red again

This occurred for me, because the Solaris sub-agent will respond to an SNMPWALK with public community string (mind you, it’s not a valid response, but it’s enough to get NETMON to acknowledge it’s discovered. Since we always force our boxes to be SNMP managed, and since xnmsnmpconf is not configured, I am using SNMP polling, but SNMP is not actually working. I can see this also occurring if I had the SNMP address in xnmsnmpconf wrong (due to a host file or dns error for the interface I discovered not being the actual interface I’m polling. Therefore I may be specifying the wrong community string, and thus an snmp timeout occurs) At this point, I ping the box it turns green and when the next status poll occurs (snmp status poll) it fails and turns the box back red.

Not sure how you would have done this on a router, but it can be done by even by the best of us.