nv-l

Re: [nv-l] 7.1.4 Installation Directories

2004-10-26 10:08:50
Subject: Re: [nv-l] 7.1.4 Installation Directories
From: Albert Wong <igcawong AT yahoo DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 07:07:58 -0700 (PDT)
I am at a customer site using Sun Cluster 3.0 on
Solaris 2.8 servers. Their architected failover
involves two active nodes, where an application is
installed only on one node (primary) and controlled by
the cluster as a resource so it can move to the other
node (backup) during a failover. In order to
facilitate this, the Unix Admins have nightly scripts
that copy an application's files from their primary
node to the backup node so that both nodes are sync'd
up.

The customer requires that NV failover be architected
this way, but they do not want to sychronize the
system directories (/usr/bin & /usr/lib) even though
NV installs some code into these directories. Their
perspective is that applications should not be
installing files into the /usr/bin directory, it
should only contain Solaris OS files.

The Unix Admins attempted to configure failover of NV
without sync'ing the /usr/bin /usr/lib directories
between the nodes. Instead they hardcoded /usr/OV/bin
to PATH and /usr/OV/lib to LD_LIBRARY_PATH. When they
attempted to failover NV to the backup node, NV would
not startup because it was looking for files in
/usr/bin. NV was configured to be started by the
cluster software using netnmrc.

So we are trying to determine how we can configure NV
to failover without having to sync the /usr/bin and
/usr/lib directories.

Any thoughts?

Regards,
Albert Wong