nv-l

[nv-l] NV 7.1.4 FixPack2 "Set and Lock SNMP Address" Feature

2004-10-25 14:08:00
Subject: [nv-l] NV 7.1.4 FixPack2 "Set and Lock SNMP Address" Feature
From: <westphal2002 AT charter DOT net>
To: <nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 18:07:11 +0000
Hello Everyone,

NetView 7.1.4 FixPack1 on AIX 5.2 ML4

My NV server monitors nearly 2,400 remote routers that use frame relay and dial
backup circuits. As you can imagine with that many routers, there are lots of
circuit problems. So as new dial backup interfaces objects are created, removed
and moved among the 2,400 router objects, my server generates many "SNMP
Address Changed" and "Duplicate IP Address" events.

I'm interested in implementing the "Set and Lock SNMP Address" feature but:

1) Will adding thousands of router loopback IP addresses to the netmon.seeed
file, with the "=" prefix, seriously burden netmon?

2) Or is it possible that this will reduce the work load on netmon? In other
words, does netmon config poll the routers when the SNMP Address Changed traps
occur? Will netmon stop trying to poll the devices through the dial backup IP
interface address?

I look forward to your replies.

Thanks in advance,
Ray Westphal