nv-l

Re: [nv-l] corruption of the database

2004-10-18 13:31:03
Subject: Re: [nv-l] corruption of the database
From: James Shanks <jshanks AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 13:29:28 -0400

If you got that answer from IBM Support, then you ought to have asked  them to give you the proper procedure to delete and rediscover.  The Support engineer is supposed to provide that information if you do not know it.  They aren't finished until you have resolved your problem.  So you could call them back and resume with them if you like.

You can delete your entire database using serversetup Maintain --> Clear databases --> clear object/topology/map databases, save customizations
This option preserves your smartsets.  The one with "remove customizations" does not.

But I wouldn't do that until you are certain of your rediscovery methodology.   If you haven't turned discovery off, then netmon will just do it again, automatically.
How did you do it before?  With a seed file?  You can update that or create a new one from your existing object database,
        ovobjprint  |  "Selection" > seed.file
and then edit the results for a list of hostnames.

I think if you search the list archives on seed files you may actually find a script that somebody wrote to do just that.

If you have a location.conf file, then as the new nodes are rediscovered, the new map will follow the location.conf guidelines.  Don't have a location.conf file but want one?  I think the archives will also point you to a tool someone wrote to produce one of those from the existing database as well.

Perhaps one of those tool writers will read this and chime in.  It's not an area I usually work in.

Hope this helps

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

Javier Morate Guerrero <jmorate AT carrefour DOT com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com

10/18/2004 11:33 AM
Please respond to
nv-l

nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com
cc
Subject
[nv-l] corruption of the database

     Hi,

     I have had a problem of corruption of the database and they give two
options me:

            1-Clear the database and rediscover
            2-Restore from a backup

      As it had some doubts on the integrity of the database, I incline by
first.  Can anybody say to me that steps I must follow to rediscover?

     How do I  maintain my smartsets?

       Netview 7.1.4 FP2 on AIX 5.1

      Un saludo,

Francisco Javier Morate Guerrero