nv-l

Re: [nv-l] Traps not converting to variables

2004-10-04 12:03:11
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Traps not converting to variables
From: "Christopher J Petrina" <cjp8 AT meadwestvaco DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 11:50:28 -0400

Currently I ahve a PMR open about this issue.  I sent Level 2 the mib the mib2trap trap file and my trapd.conf.  It seems that I get conflicting responses from them and here.  They are saying it works fine on their systems.  They are receiving the textual equivalent of the enum value.  Below is a short description of one of the traps that I am seeing doing this.

This is what the event looks like in the event window:

Thu Sep 30 14:53:07 2004 10.40.137.254   A sensorProbe 6 10 6 args:  [1] akcp.sensorProbe.sensorProbeTraps.spSensorStatus.0 (Integer): 5
 [2] akcp.sensorProbe.sensorProbeTraps.spSensorValue.0 (Integer): 75
 [3] sensorProbeTraps.spSensorLevelExceeded.0 (Integer): 75
 [4] akcp.sensorProbe.sensorProbeTraps.spSensorIndex.0 (Integer): 0
 [5] akcp.sensorProbe.sensorProbeTraps.spSensorName.0 (OctetString): Temperature1
 [6] sensorProbe.sensorProbeTraps.spSensorDescription.0 (OctetString): Test Temp in Trudi's Lab

2 - 6 are fine since the data they show are actual numeric values.  It is the $1 arg of 5 that I would have expected to see be a textual name of sensorStatus a value of 1 - 5.  in the trapd.conf it looks like this:

spTemperatureStatus {1.3.6.1.4.1.3854.1} 6 10 A 1 0 "Status Events"
$E $G $S $# args: $*
EVENT_CLASS hhmsTemperatureStatus
SDESC
Temperature sensor trap
EDESC
The mib shows this:
 spTemperatureStatus TRAP-TYPE
                ENTERPRISE sensorProbe
                VARIABLES
                        { spSensorStatus, spSensorValue, spSensorLevelExceeded,
         spSensorIndex, spSensorName, spSensorDescription }
                DESCRIPTION
                        "Temperature sensor trap"
                ::= 10
When it uses variables
 spSensorStatus OBJECT-TYPE
            SYNTAX  INTEGER {
               noStatus(1),
               normal(2),
               highWarning(3),
               highCritical(4),
               lowWarning(5),
               lowCritical(6),
               sensorError(7)

I figured that it would display the varaible name versus the actual integer.
If the integer is the correct value and that is all I am going to receive what is the easiest way in anyones opinion to replace the integer with a name.  Would something like an inline action help?   write a script that receives the information then do some if then statements to post it forward onto TEC via postzmsg?

This electronic message contains information from MeadWestvaco
Corporation or subsidiary companies, which may be confidential,
privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. The
information is intended to be used solely by the recipient(s)
named. If you are not an intended recipient, be aware that
any review, disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this
transmission or its contents is prohibited. If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify MeadWestvaco
immediately at postmaster AT MeadWestvaco DOT com.