nv-l

Re: [nv-l] Trap flow to TEC

2004-10-04 03:32:56
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Trap flow to TEC
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry AT skills-1st.co DOT uk>
To: nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 08:21:24 +0100
Brian & Brian,
I have also defined my own traps in NV for Windows to be forwarded to TEC. I have NOT found any good official documentation but I can confirm that if you get your .cds file correct then the Java customisation GUI will see your TRAPs and you can filter them IN from there. If you don't like the Java GUI, there is no problem with simply adding to tecad_nv6k.conf manually - if you do that, you also need to manually stop and start the tecad_nv6k daemon.

Brian G - you've obviously got as far as tracing things with tecad_nv6k.err - can you elaborate on exactly what discards your event?? There are a number of the standard NetView events (generated with the event command) that never make it to TEC. The reason is that the number of variables that some NetView events have generated, has changed. Interface and Node up and down are examples. The event command has not been updated to generate the correct number of variables but the CDS file has - you can see in the tecad_nv6k.err file that the CORRECT NUMBER of variables is checked for - when this is wrong the event gets discarded.

Are you, by any chance, doing testing with an event that doesn't have all the variables you defined in the CDS file? I suspect variables with an incorrect type may do the same thing.

Cheers,
Jane

Brian Kraftchick wrote:

Brian,

I wondered the same thing also....but once I had correctly defined the trap
using the "CLASS" specification in the tecad_nv6k.cds as all the other
classes in that file are specified, they showed up when I ran the
tecconfig.bat utility.  I actually just kind of stumbled across this.....I
had been advised to define the "CLASS" that the trap would fall under in
tecad_nv6k.cds, and then to edit the tecad_nv6k.conf file so that these
would be filtered "IN", and it worked after that....I started seeing the
events show up in the TEC reception log.  It wasn't till after I had all of
this working that I ran the tecconfig.bat utility and happened to see them
listed there.  From this I assumed that tecconfig.bat utility was simply
picking up the entries from the tecad_nv6k.cds file.  Hopefully someone out
here can clarify if this is actually the case...again, as I mentioned, this
was just my assumption from what I saw happen.  Other than that, I can only
suggest re-checking the syntax of the CLASS definition for those traps in
tecad_nv6k.cds....since I don't think this file is one that gets compiled,
but simply read....it may be possible that tecconfig.bat can simply bypass
anything formed incorrectly and keep reading the rest of the definitions.

Can anyone elaborate on this ?

Brian