nv-l

[nv-l] Virtual Cluster Node

2004-09-14 16:03:13
Subject: [nv-l] Virtual Cluster Node
From: CMazon AT commercebankfl DOT com
To: nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 15:41:24 -0400

Hi List (NV 7.1.4 FP1/RH Linux 7.2)

I have a SNMP collection/threshold set for a cluster server. I am specifically monitoring a shared disk and I have checking threshold so that an event is created. However, being a  cluster, its always possible that it fails over and the share disk becomes active in the new node, changing the instant number of the node I was monitoring.  I decided to test to see if I can browse the Mib i'm using on the Virtual Name and it works. Even when failing over the instance # stays the same. So I configured the collection to collect data based on the virtual name even though its not listed in the object database. The data is being collected and stored however an event is not being generated when the threshold is met.

My question is, does the virtual node have to exist in the object database in order for a threshold event to be generated????

EX:  The SNMP Data collection is being performed on the Virtual Node

ClusterNode1:         ServerA.domain.com        Defined in Object Database
ClusterNode2:         ServerB.domain.com        Defined in Object Database
Virtual Node:        Server.domain.com        NOT defined in object database

Carlos Mazon