nv-l

RE: [nv-l] EVent Browser flooded with useless events

2004-09-09 12:23:12
Subject: RE: [nv-l] EVent Browser flooded with useless events
From: James Shanks <jshanks AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 12:01:18 -0400

A ruleset running in ESE.automation has NOTHING to do with what you see on the display.  It is for rulesets run in the background by actionsvr, and does not affect the user's display.

Your ruleset has to run in your events window, instead of forwardall.rs, or you will see exactly what you do now.

If you really don't want NetView to process these traps, and you cannot turn them off at the source, then your only option is to install an MLM and let him filter the traps out using the trap destination table.

Anything else you do in NetView itself just masks the problem.  As was suggested, you can set the traps you don't want to see to "Don't Log or Display" or just "Log Only" in trapd.conf and they won't show up in the event widows, but trapd will still have to process them and so will nvcorrd.    Ditto for creating a ruleset or a trap filer using the filter editor ("filtered").  They all just keep the event window clear, and possibly the trapd.log,  but the processing still occurs.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

Meyos Yemveng <yemveng AT yahoo DOT ca>
Sent by: owner-nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com

09/09/2004 11:45 AM
Please respond to
nv-l

nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com
cc
Subject
RE: [nv-l] EVent Browser flooded with useless events

As I said in my original message:
1- there is no option on the SNMP Agent on  the device to filter these TRAPS by Severity
2- These Traps are  all coming from different sources but are the same Trap Number.

Therefore I think the best approach would be the Ruleset to block theses events if the Severity is <=3 and add that ruleset in ESE.automation.

Any Idea?

"Alan E. Hennis" <Hennis_Alan_E AT cat DOT com>
wrote:

May I add that although this is the easiest thing to do it is better to
stop the traps from being sent from the source. NetView still has to
process all the traps, even if you don't log or display. It is best to stop
all unnecessary traps from the source. NetView has limits as to how many
traps it can process per second. IBM has told me it is about 10-12 traps
per second.

Thanks
Alan E. Hennis
Caterpillar Inc.
Systems+Process Division
309.494.3308
hennis_alan_e AT cat DOT com

"Qureshi, Fawad"
a.gov>
Sent by: To
owner-nv-l@lists. To
us.ibm.com "'nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com'"

cc
09/09/2004 10:08
AM

Please respond to
nv-l AT lists.us DOT ibm Subject
.com RE: [nv-l] EVent Browser flooded
with useless events

Caterpillar: Confidential Green Retain Until: 10/09/2004
Retention Category: G90 -
General
Matters/Administration

Easiest thing to do is use the "Don't Log or Display" option from xnmtrap
for the traps you do not want to see.

Fawad