nv-l

[nv-l] Enhancement request on NV TUG site

2004-09-09 11:01:04
Subject: [nv-l] Enhancement request on NV TUG site
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry AT skills-1st.co DOT uk>
To: Dimitris Leventidis <dil AT altec DOT gr>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 15:45:46 +0100
Hi Dimitris,
Thanks for your append to the NetView Tivoli User Group website re your enhancement request for the NetView object Selection Name to be populatetd by the snmpSysName from a device. As I said previously, I do not believe there is any committment from IBM to action anything on the TUG site (though if anyone knows different, we would love to hear that......). I did receive a verbal assurance when we set up the site that NetView development would at least look at what is posted.

Re your request, I think you will probably find a similar discussion in the 1 - 2 years ago timeframe. My feeling is that it is a bit dangerous for NetView to set his Selection Name field based on what an agent tells him as you (as the NetView administrator) probably have no control over how your networking kit is setup, whereas you, hopefully, have some control over the DNS that NetView uses. I worked with a client who rolled out standard configs to all their boxes and just "changed the necessary bits" - they ended up with lots of boxes all with the same snmpSysName, which would obviously have caused havoc for NetView.

I am copying this debate to the nv-l mail list for further input........... anyone else??

Cheers,
Jane

Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565
Copyright (c) 2004 Jane Curry <jane.curry AT skills-1st.co DOT uk>.  All rights
reserved.