nv-l

Re: [nv-l] BadOID for new enterprise device ---(ANSWERED)

2004-08-10 16:30:09
Subject: Re: [nv-l] BadOID for new enterprise device ---(ANSWERED)
From: "Mrs Bigglesteeth" <mrsbigglesteeth AT hotmail DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 20:14:35 +0000
Thanks James,

You've been a great help!

From: James Shanks <jshanks AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] BadOID for new enterprise device
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 07:59:53 -0400

1.  When you do an upgrade install, your old customized files are
preserved and should be migrated to the new level.  That said, the savvy
system administrator always, always has a back-up somewhere else.
2.  Smartset membership is dynamic.  Once the OID is known, the objects
will be moved from the BadOid smartset, but their individual symbols will
not be updated.  Symbols are chosen once, at discovery time, and you will
have to delete and rediscover these devices to get new symbols for them.
3. Tell you IBM/Tivoli marketing (best idea) or call Support and tell them
you want to be a member of the Tivoli Partners program.  They should be
able to put you in touch with folks who can get you into the program, and
then your contact in the program can put you in touch with development to
see that your OID  is part of the product for future releases.

James Shanks
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Mrs Bigglesteeth" <mrsbigglesteeth AT hotmail DOT com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com
08/03/2004 05:35 PM
Please respond to
nv-l

nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
cc

Subject
[nv-l] BadOID for new enterprise device

Hi,

My company has a developed a new SNMP agent that is discovered by NetView
and placed in the expected network maps.  However, the devices are also
displayed in the BadOID smartset.

I searched the forum for situations like this and realized that we must
modify some files so that NetView recognizes our sysObjectID.  I've
modified
the oid_to_sym, oid_to_type, and snmp_fields files to do this.  I then
deleted all the associated symbols, cleared the database and then
performed
discovery again.  Now our devices are no longer in the BadOID smartset but

in the smartset I expect it to belong to.  Everything worked fine.

My questions are as follows:
1.  If one upgrades NetView (say from 7.1.3 to 7.1.4) will the modified
files mentioned above be replaced and therefore, need to be modified
again?

2.  Is it necessary to manually remove symbols from the BadOID smartset
and
perform another discovery, or will the symbol be removed and updated on
the
next scheduled discovery?

3.  Is there a way to get our Enterprise OID added to NetView's files so
that future releases of the product will recognize our devices and assign
the appropriate symbol to it?  I imagine we have to contact Tivoli for
this
but I don't know what the procedure would be to do this.

Regards,

MSN Toolbar provides one-click access to Hotmail from any Web page â?? FREE