nv-l

Re: [nv-l] Problem with discovery routers

2004-06-17 10:36:10
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Problem with discovery routers
From: James Shanks <jshanks AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:21:37 -0400

Well, I'm not sure what is happening, but have you looked anywhere for clues?

NetView seldom, if ever, deletes and object without a trap, so what's in trapd.log when this occurs?  And what's in the netmon.trace file?
Is it possible that this fourth router is not being discovered by it's loopback address but by some HSRP or other duplicate address instead?

For best results you should define a loopback address on the router and put that address in the netmon seed file so there is no mistaking what the main interface is.  And the loopback cannot be one of your duplicates,  It should also be in DNS, and resolve correctly both forward and backward.

By default, white is the color for unreachable objects, so for some reason I'd say that at  some point after discovery ,the NetView box doesn't think that it has connectivity to that box.  That indicates to me that there is some weirdness in it's interface table  but that's just a guess.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

Javier Morate Guerrero <jmorate AT carrefour DOT com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com

06/17/2004 06:34 AM
Please respond to
nv-l

nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com
cc
Subject
[nv-l] Problem with discovery routers

     Hi,

     We have 7.1.4 over AIX 5.1

     I have a problem.  We have 4 central routers (CISCO), with more than
200 interfaces frame-relay each one.  In order to have high availability,
the IPs are duplicated among them.  Each router it has a fixed unique IP.
I have activates the option of duplicated IPs in netmon.

      Netview represents to me, correctly, to three of them.  The other
puts it of white color, we do ping to him and it is put green, but if
nmdemandpoll is done to him, netmon delete the object.  What can be
happening?

Francisco Javier Morate Guerrero
Dpto. Gestión de Sistemas
Carrefour España