nv-l

Re: [nv-l] Cannot Open Display

2004-06-15 09:58:02
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Cannot Open Display
From: Paul <pstroud AT bellsouth DOT net>
To: nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 09:44:32 -0400
Are you able to run ANY X-applications from the server to the client?
This is something you may need to talk with your administrators about.
I am fairly sure that Solaris can also be coaxed not to listen on the X
port. This doesn't really sound like a NetView problem at this point,
it looks like there is a problem with running X-applications remotely.

Paul

Meyos Yemveng wrote:

Both machines are Solaris
Also I don't think it is the DNS issue, I can telnet to the Netview Server from the Client Machine using both hostname and IP. Q1: can the fact that the two servers are on different subnet with routers in between be an issue?

*/Paul <pstroud AT bellsouth DOT net>/* wrote:

    I missed this beginning of this, what OS is the target machine?
    If it is a Linux machine you may need to enable X listening.
    If I am not mistaken, RedHat by default sets up X as "noListen",
    so even if you do everything correctly it still will not work. I
    can't tell you off the top of my head how to change it, but Im sure
    Google can tell you.

    Paul

    Meyos Yemveng wrote:

    > Thanks,
    > I have done exactly that:
    > - "xhost +" on the client Machine
    > - telnet to the Server Machine
    > - set the DISPLAY (export DISPLAY=clientMachine:0.0)
    > That is when I get the message "Cannot Open Display for
    > "clientMachine:0.0".
    >
    > Q1: Any Ideas?
    >

    > */"Davis, Donald" /* wrote:
    >
    > Meyos ,
    >

    > You were so c! lose on your step #2, you should not have dropped the
    > plus sign (+)
    >

    > */ xhost /**/ Command
    > Purpose
    > Controls who accesses Enhanced X-Windows on the current host
    machine.
    > Syntax
    > xhost [ + | - ] [ Name ]
    >
    > /*
    >

    > You need to do this on server2:
    >

    > xhost +
    >

    > This is assuming that server2 is a unix platform or running an X
    > emulator .
    >

    > Don Davis

    NetviewServer.

Post your free ad now! *Yahoo! Canada Personals* <http://ca.personals.yahoo.com/>