nv-l

[nv-l] not polling interface during certain hours

2004-06-04 13:42:04
Subject: [nv-l] not polling interface during certain hours
From: "Christopher J Petrina" <cjp8 AT meadwestvaco DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 13:25:58 -0400

Greetings,

overview:   We have servers on 2 specific subnets with dual interface cards on them.  One of these cards is used for nightly backups.  These interfaces during specific hours are known to flood the network with traffic, making the polling,pinging ability of NV make false reports of them being down.  We also have switch analyzer running as well.

We would like to not poll/ping the specific interface of these servers during these hours.  But would still want the other interface polled/ping'd.  Is there a way to not poll the interface while still polling the other interface.  I saw some comments on the list server about putting the devices into a smartset and running a script against it with xnmsnmpconf.  But that would iliminate polling of the entire device.  We only want to NOT poll the specified interface.  Other then creating a ruleset which would still have to process these interfaces' events, is there a way to stop polling?

Thought:  Is there a way to execute the unmanage function via CLI that i could script and at the beginning of backup time simply set those interfaces to  unmanaged.  Then another script to manage them again when the time has expired?

Thank you

Chris Petrina

This electronic message contains information from MeadWestvaco
Corporation or subsidiary companies, which may be confidential,
privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. The
information is intended to be used solely by the recipient(s)
named. If you are not an intended recipient, be aware that
any review, disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this
transmission or its contents is prohibited. If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify MeadWestvaco
immediately at postmaster AT MeadWestvaco DOT com.