nv-l

RE: [nv-l] Ruleset Correlation

2004-05-28 12:38:56
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Ruleset Correlation
From: Stephen Hochstetler <shochste AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 11:14:14 -0500

Scott,

I like your system. I have done something similar for managing a non-IP satelite network once. I did not use a listner since I simply did fast grep on a file to get the parsing that I needed to see if this alarm should be forwarded or not.

You say your listner is generating all 34 events...so I assume you see those in trapd.log. But that only 12 made it to TEC. Why are you using postemsg instead of the TEC adapter? I thought a benefit of the adapter was that it would queue the event if it did not get it sent.

Have you checked a timing issue...for example..if you get 3 events at the same time....is the process single threaded somewhere where only 1 gets forwarded to TEC successfully? If you are calling postemsg within a perl script...can you check for valid return codes?

Have you verified in the TEC reception database that only 12 was received?

Stephen Hochstetler shochste AT us.ibm DOT com
International Technical Support Organization at IBM
Office - 512-838-6198 (t/l 678) FAX - 512-838-6931
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com