nv-l

Re: [nv-l] Discovery

2004-05-05 12:34:16
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Discovery
From: Gareth Holl <gholl AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 12:25:46 -0400

Page 42 of the version 7 Configuration Guide states:
"netmon discovers individual IP addresses and host nams in a seed file regardless of whether they lie outside the groups of nodes in the seedfile or regardless of whether they are included in a group of nodes specified with the !"

In other words, specific entries take priority. Probably the only entry to have a higher priority would be an entry using the same specific IP address but with a !, but then again why would you do that :-)

The Config guide has a good explanation of the use of the seedfile.

Hope this helps.

Gareth Holl
Staff Software Engineer
gholl AT us.ibm DOT com

IBM Software Group - Tivoli Brand
Research Triangle Park,  North Carolina.

Meyos Yemveng <yemveng AT yahoo DOT ca>
Sent by: owner-nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com

05/05/2004 12:14 PM
Please respond to
nv-l

nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com
cc
Subject
Re: [nv-l] Discovery

Thanks Folks,
More QUestions

Q1: Let's say myy seed file have the following two entries:

node1.mydonaine.com #IP=192.168.15.12
!192.168.15* #Do not discover these IP range

Would my node1 be discovered?

Q2: Best practice Advice on Discovery.
- Should you control your discovery via the seed file content (@limit_discovery)?
- Should you a combination of sedd file entries and IP restrictions while allowing auto-discovery?
- What wold you suggest for a network of Servers and Routers?

Jane Curry <jane.curry AT skills-1st.co DOT uk>
wrote:

Please see inserted comments.
Cheers,
Jane

Meyos Yemveng wrote:

> Hi Folks,
> I would like to clarify some discovery issues
> 1- I want to limit Netview to only discover what I have in the seed file
> Q1: do I need to specify what IP range not to discover again?
> !102.105.123.*

You need to turn off automatic discovery if you really want to limit
discovery to what is in the seedfile. If you have a Unix NetView, you
want Options -> Topology/Status Polling -> and untick the "Discover New
Nodes" box. When you do this, wildcard entries in your seedfile are
irrelevant - ALL wildcards - includes and excludes. The only things
NetView will discover will be explicit seedfile entries like 1.2.3.4 or
fred.bloggs.com. Nothing with * ? or ranges with hyphens, will be
discovered. This may not be the be! haviour you want!

> Q2: What should I Do

If you don't have too many nodes that you want to discover and you are
prepared to hand-maintain your seedfile, then do as above. If you don't
want to create an explicit entry for each node you want to find then you
need to turn auto-discovery back ON and find a combination of inclusion
and exclusiion wildcard entries for your seedfile that achieves the
desired effect. Have you looked at the @OID style of seedfile entry to
limit discovery to specific types of SNMP agent? That can be very
powerful for preventing discovery of nodes.

> Q3- I want to prevent unwanted Nodes to be discovered such as Nodes
> detected by ICMP and SNMP Ping sweeps and SNMP Cold/Warm start Traps ?

Doesn't matter what the polling mechanism is - if the seedfile permits
it - it gets discovered; otherwise it doesn't.

> Q4- Any other suggestions?

You might l! ook at taking the NetView for Unix for Administrators class
(or the Windows version if your NetView is Win based). We spend the
best part of a day on understanding discovery / seedfiles /
location.conf / etc.

> Thank You,
> Meyos
> "ALLEZ LES LIONS INDOMPTABLES"

> Post your free ad now! *Yahoo! Canada Personals*

Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565
Copyright (c) 2004 Jane Curry . All rights reserved.