nv-l

Re: [nv-l] Netview Not logging Novell/Netware traps

2003-11-20 08:42:54
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Netview Not logging Novell/Netware traps
From: James Shanks <jshanks AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 08:31:05 -0500

There is no magic button.
What evidence do you have that there are Novell traps actually arriving at the NetView box?
Do you a snoop or iptrace to prove it?  Perhaps they are being stopped somewhere along the way.

You can trace the traps coming into trapd by following this procedure.  Use serversetup to set the trapd options  to "Hex dump all packets received/sent by trapd", which will cause trapd  to run with the -x option.  Then  you can toggle the trapd trace on and off as you please by issuing "trap -T" from the command line.  By default the data goes to /usr/OV/log/trapd.trace.  If trapd gets anything, even an invalid trap, will be shown in the trace.

Since you have not configured the traps, when they arrive the will be displayed with a message that says "NO FMT FOUND" in the trapd.log.

Could you be using an MLM somewhere as a trap concentrator?  Then his trap destination table would have to be modified to send the additional traps.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Nivaldo Moura" <MOURAN AT stgeorge.com DOT au>
Sent by: owner-nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com

11/19/2003 09:25 PM
Please respond to nv-l