nv-l

Re: [nv-l] Creating custom fields in the ovwdb

2003-11-19 06:20:26
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Creating custom fields in the ovwdb
From: "Oliver Bruchhaeuser" <oliver.bruchhaeuser AT de.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 12:13:43 +0100
Pritesh,

what MIB var do you refer to?

There are already by default "interface description's" in  the database:

-- iso(1). org(3). dod(6). internet(1). mgmt(2). mib-2(1). interfaces(2).
ifTable(2). ifEntry(1). ifDescr(2)

-> Part of "Selection Name"

and

-- iso(1). org(3). dod(6). internet(1). mgmt(2). mib-2(1). ifMIB(31).
ifMIBObjects(1). ifXTable(1). ifXEntry(1). ifAlias(18)
=
-- iso(1). org(3). dod(6). internet(1). private(4). enterprises(1).
cisco(9). local(2). linterfaces(2). lifTable(1). lifEntry(1).
locIfDescr(28)
on Cisco Devices

-> "SNMP ifAlias"

Kind regards

Oliver Bruchhaeuser
Tivoli NetView EMEA L2 Support

|         |           "Pritesh Jewan"  |
|         |           <Pritesh@aptronic|
|         |           s.co.za>         |
|         |           owner-nv-l@lists.|
|         |           us.ibm.com       |
|         |           18.11.2003 16:42 |
|         |           nv-l             |

>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |

  |       To:       <nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com>
                                            |
  |       cc:
                                     |
  |       Subject:  [nv-l] Creating custom fields in the ovwdb
                                     |

>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Hi List,

Environment: Netview for Linux V7.1.4

I have a requirement for a customer to create a field in the object
database for every interface in a router and populate this field with the
Interface description from the router for each interface( this info is
available from the mib). This question has been asked before on the forum.
The response was that you could either write a script to retrieve and then
do a bulk import in the ovwdb using nvdbimport or create the field upon
discovering a new device and then insert the values for each interface. I
would like to go the second route however I cannot seem to (after reading
the Netview for unix programmers guide) understand the high level steps
that need to be carried out to achieve this. This is quite important as the
customer is trying to replace another "network management product" since
they want to go the Tivoli route for network and systems monitoring and I
would appreciate if someone can share their ideas on how to achieve this.

Thanks and regards

Pritesh

Pritesh Jewan
Aptronics (Pty) Ltd
Tel   : +27 (0) 11 577 0800
Fax  : +27 (0) 11 326 4921
Cell : +27 (0) 84-677-2486
pritesh AT aptronics.co DOT za

                         *** Aptronics?Has Moved !

           Please take note of new address and contact details.

                            Physical Address :

                     Aptronics House, 288 Main avenue

                           Cnr. Main and Harley

                              Ferndale, 2194

                              Postal Address:

                       P.O. Box 2732, Randburg, 2125

                        Telephone : (011) 577-0800

                        Facsimile : (011) 326-4921

Legal Disclaimer: This E-mail, it's attachment/s and the information that
it contains is/are confidential, legally privileged and protected by law.
Access to this E-mail, it's attachment/s, and the information it contains
is/are for the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient of
this Email , do not read, disclose, disseminate or use the information in
any way.

Any views in this communication are those of the sender except where the
sender specifically states them to be the views of Aptronics (PTY) Ltd.
Aptronics (PTY) Ltd and the sender does not represent, warrant and/or
guarantee that the integrity of this communication has been maintained nor
that the communication is free of errors or virus nor does it guarantee
that it has not been intercepted or interfered with en-route.