nv-l

RE: [nv-l] Adding connections in a Submap

2003-11-14 14:27:49
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Adding connections in a Submap
From: Leslie Clark <lclark AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 14:19:01 -0500

James has explained the rules and you must abide by them to avoid corrupting the database. A network appears in only one place. Routers appear in only one IP Internet-level place. They appear again inside each network submap and inside each segment submap. I don't usually find it necessary to mess with anything below the the IP Internet level.

One approach to grouping things by location is to leave the core devices on the top map and cut/paste networks and remote routers into new location icons. The core device will appear again when you drill into the network in the remote location.

How do you make different groupings than those provided by the IP Internet topology using these rules? You use smartsets. If you are interested in just the devices at a site, you can make a smartset based on name, if that works, or subnet address. You can make a smartset of location icons, too.  No cutting or pasting in Smartsets - you do it all with the definitions.

PS - the Copy option is only there to trick you into doing something dangerous. I have NEVER found a valid use for it. Don't take the bait.

Cordially,

Leslie A. Clark
Detroit

"Erdey, Raymond M" <Raymond.M.Erdey AT erac DOT com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com

11/14/2003 12:39 PM
Please respond to nv-l