nv-l

Re: [nv-l] Collecting SNMPv2 Data from Nokia box

2003-08-14 07:54:41
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Collecting SNMPv2 Data from Nokia box
From: John Bruer <ad572 AT yahoo DOT com>
To: "Haibo Yang" <hbyang AT sysway DOT com>
Date: 14 Aug 2003 06:59:08 -0500
"Haibo Yang" <hbyang AT sysway DOT com> writes:
> Hello, list.
>
> Netview 7.1.3 on Win2000 Pro with Pack 2
>

> I have modified \usr\ov\conf\snmpcol.conf and a new entry was added
> to collect "the current percetage of CPU untiliztion". The following
> is the content of the snmpcol.conf
>
> MIB .1.3.6.1.4.1.94.1.21.1.7.1 0 NokiaCPUUtility units TIMETICKS R ibmbackup
> C 10.10.30.200 0xffffffff 120 > 40.000000 <= 35.000000 % s 58720263
>
> The last entry here is supposed to collect the cpu utility data from
> nokia box.
>
> In command line, I can use \usr\ov\bin\snmpwalk or snmpget to get
> this specific mib value.

Just to verify, make sure you can do those two without specifying a
community string on the command line.  This ensures NetView is using
the right community string.

> My problem is that In the MIB Data Collector window,  when I click
> the "data" button, it is empty!!! You know, the collecting interval
> is 120 seconds and there is a long enough period of time for netview
> to get some data.
>
> Any one here can tell me why there is no data collected by the MIB
> Data Collector? Are there some ways to make it collect the MIB value
> I want?

I've fought with such problems in the past myself...often scratching
my head as to why it was occuring because everything looked fine, yet
no data ever showed up.

At least in the AIX version, there's a log file that's pretty helpful
for debugging this though.  /usr/OV/logs/snmpCol.trace

You may have to toggle it on. In AIX, that's done through
serversetup.   YMMV, and I am not familiar with the windows product.

--
jb