nv-l

Re: [nv-l] Smartsets

2003-08-13 11:13:06
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Smartsets
From: James Shanks <jshanks AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 11:12:38 -0400

Yes, and no.

Yes, you can create smartsets which are "supersets" of other smartsets; that is you may create a smartset which contains other smartsets. The UNIX smartset editor, collectioned, explicitly supports this, but the Windows one does not, so far as I can see.   To do this on Windows you'd need to use the  smartsetutil command.  It's harder but it can be done.

 But whether  a smartset is defined in terms of other smartsets or not,  they will not be nested on the map.  Each will show as a separate icon on the smartset map, and when you drill down you will see only the individual nodes, not the sub-class smartsets which determined what nodes to put there.  The intervening smartsets are just the defining criteria for which nodes should be shown under your superset.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

Meyos Yemveng <yemveng AT yahoo DOT ca>

08/13/2003 10:22 AM