nv-l

Re: [nv-l] Loading SNMP v2 MIBs

2003-08-05 15:47:04
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Loading SNMP v2 MIBs
From: John Bruer <ad572 AT yahoo DOT com>
To: "Edwards, JT - ESM" <JEdwards3 AT wm DOT com>
Date: 05 Aug 2003 14:49:43 -0500
"Edwards, JT - ESM" <JEdwards3 AT wm DOT com> writes:

> I am very happy you are asking these questions.
>
> Allow me to further articulate what we are trying to engineer here.
>
> There is a SNMP agent on the Siteminder policy server that will send traps.
> We are hoping to use Netview to interpret those traps so that we can forward
> those events on to the Tivoli Enterprise Console's Event Server for
> processing.
>
> I was under the impression in order to define events for TEC process, traps
> need to go to Netview. What really got me excited is that I can build events
> based on the SNMP traps received.

If all you need to do is receive traps, you don't need to load mibs.
a little odd to you, but that's the way the tool is set up.

In Netview, the notion of traps is stored in /usr/OV/conf/C/trapd.conf
It's the place where NetView stores trap definitions, and what to do
with the traps whe nthey come in.    It's not intended to ever be
edited by hand.  /usr/OV/bin/xnmtrap is the gui for modifying traps
that are already in the file.

The command "/usr/OV/bin/addtrap" is the method of adding a trap
definition to this database of traps. There is a man page for this
command.

There is also a command /usr/OV/bin/mib2trap which helps in building
the initial trap definitions for you.  It's not terribly easy to use
as you may find you have to concatenate a lot of mib files together to
give the script the extensive view of teh mib hierarchy that it needs.
To create such a file:
        cat *.mi2 > my_big_mib_file

Then run mib2trap on my_big_mib_file.

If all goes well, this will create a shell script of individual
addtrap commands to add definitions for all traps (technically
"informs" in v2 parlance) contained in the mib file.

Depending on the mib files, you may need to build up some lines in the
big mib file so mib2trap can figure out where it is in the mib
tree--it's basically trying to construct the numeric OID's to
associate with the trap by parsing out all the mib files.

Or you may discover that all of this is too much of a pain and that
the resulting addtrap commands don't really do what you want anyway,
and you may find yourself creating addtrap scripts by hand and piecing
togethr the numeric OID's yourself.

If you are interested in doing things automatically when a given trap
comes in, read up on the -C switch of the addtrap command in its man
page.

This learning curve is not fun...but once you get it, you've got it.

Best Regards,
--
jb