nv-l

Re: [nv-l] ovactiond : how to use AdditionalLegalTrapCharacters ?

2003-07-16 14:05:44
Subject: Re: [nv-l] ovactiond : how to use AdditionalLegalTrapCharacters ?
From: John Bruer <ad572 AT yahoo DOT com>
To: "Philippe Menard" <PME AT fr.ibm DOT com>
Date: 16 Jul 2003 13:15:06 -0500
"Philippe Menard" <PME AT fr.ibm DOT com> writes:

> All,
> NV 7.1.3, AIX 4.3.3
> please could someone explain how to use the AdditionalLegalTrapCharacters
> environment variable
> so that ovactiond stops converting some non-alphanumerics with underscores.
> Is it as simple as adding the following to netnmrc.pre ?
> AdditionalLegalTrapCharacters="/:"
> export AdditionalLegalTrapCharacters

Yes.  And then

# ovstop
# ovstop nvsecd
# /etc/netnmrc

> I really need theses two characters because I can find no way to
> provide scripts with the real name of interfaces in case of
> Interface Down events. My scripts get names such as "Serial4_0_0"
> which depending on devices could be "Serial4/0/0" or
> "Serial4/0:0". Also the Interface Down event contains no ifIndex
> that could be used to snmpget back to the device ...  Best regards,
> Philippe.

In your scripts you will have to do sed replacements to replace \/
with / and \: with :

You're wise to only allow those characters that you specifically
need.

Now, there is a way to get rid of all backslashes and get back to the
"good old days," but it will make your scripts vulnerable to the CERT
alert attack this functionality prevents...but it's certainly not
something I'd recommend.   It's a trivial root compromise by sending a
single unsolicited SNMP trap, however!

--
jb