nv-l

Re: [nv-l] reset_ci man page

2003-06-24 08:47:40
Subject: Re: [nv-l] reset_ci man page
From: James Shanks <jshanks AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 08:38:04 -0400
Running reset_ci is not considered a normal operations activity.  There's
no man page for reset_ci because it is a service routine, located in
/usr/OV/service, and the idea behind that directory is that users would
not run the utilities there without service direction.  It's not a
catch-all tool, but one designed for specific problems.  Besides, reset_ci
 is a script.   You can browse it and you can trace it if you like.

I don't know what prompted you to run it exactly, but what it is for is
for changing the NetView's view of where he is, by rebuilding the ovors
portion of the database and then updating other files with that
information ,which is what you have to do when the box hostname or IP
address is changed.   But to do that, reset_ci stops several daemons,
including netmon and restarts him, after clearing the xnmsnmpconf cache. I
suspect that this is the action which has more to do with resolving your
problems than anything else.

I would call Support about you status mismatch problem, since it seems to
me only accidental that your problem is resolved after running it.   Do
you also take the maps down first?  If so, it may also be that the problem
would be resolved when you restart them, since ipmap will synchronize with
ovtopmd on start up.  Have you tried that?  If that works, then I'd say
you have an ipmap problem.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Westphal, Raymond W" <Raymond.W.Westphal AT erac DOT com>
06/24/2003 07:18 AM