nv-l

RE: [nv-l] Flooding TEC

2003-06-18 06:57:46
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Flooding TEC
From: James Shanks <jshanks AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 06:47:42 -0400

Good point, Ray.  If you have an MLM as a trap receiver, then you could
solve your problem by implementing thresholding there, rather than using
the NetView-to-TEC ruleset to do it.  The MLM would provide a way to
control not only the flooding in TEC but also the flooding in NetView
itself.  An excellent suggestion.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

                      "Ray Westphal"

                      <westphal2002@cha        To:       "Delaire, Patrick"
<delairep AT aetna DOT com>,
                      rter.net>                 <nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com>

                                               cc:

                      06/17/03 08:39 PM        Subject:  RE: [nv-l] Flooding
TEC

Hello Patrick.

You don't mention a trap rate or a duration of the trap storm. I know you
are talking about overwhelming TEC, but if we reduce the traps forwarded to
TEC somehow, the bottleneck will likely move to the NetView server's trapd
daemon. If the trap rate is too high for too long, trapd will fail or traps
will fill the queue. Then they are delayed for so long they become useless
to provide any warnings.

Remember, the NetView server has to process all the traps received even if
you chose not to forward them or not even log them. So running a ruleset
that referenced a ksh or perl script to limit the events forwarded, still
means trapd could fail.

You have disabled MLM which is often suggested as a filtering mechanism
when a NetView server is getting overwhelmed with traps. If you cannot
enable MLM, I suggest you start by limiting more of the traps sent by your
IVR. Hopefully many of the traps could be eliminated. If many of them are
threshold traps, raise the threshold until you find a comfortable level.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Ray Westphal
Enterprise Rent-A-Car

[Ray Westphal]  -----Original Message-----