nv-l

RE: [nv-l] Flooding TEC

2003-06-18 03:54:57
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Flooding TEC
From: "Ray Westphal" <westphal2002 AT charter DOT net>
To: "Delaire, Patrick" <delairep AT aetna DOT com>, <nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 19:39:38 -0500
Hello Patrick.

You don't mention a trap rate or a duration of the trap storm. I know you are talking about overwhelming TEC, but if we reduce the traps forwarded to TEC somehow, the bottleneck will likely move to the NetView server's trapd daemon. If the trap rate is too high for too long, trapd will fail or traps will fill the queue. Then they are delayed for so long they become useless to provide any warnings.

Remember, the NetView server has to process all the traps received even if you chose not to forward them or not even log them. So running a ruleset that referenced a ksh or perl script to limit the events forwarded, still means trapd could fail.

You have disabled MLM which is often suggested as a filtering mechanism when a NetView server is getting overwhelmed with traps. If you cannot enable MLM, I suggest you start by limiting more of the traps sent by your IVR. Hopefully many of the traps could be eliminated. If many of them are threshold traps, raise the threshold until you find a comfortable level.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Ray Westphal
Enterprise Rent-A-Car

[Ray Westphal]  -----Original Message-----