nv-l

Re: [nv-l] WEB client/console access

2003-06-04 03:42:28
Subject: Re: [nv-l] WEB client/console access
From: "Denis Peuziat" <PEUZIATD AT fr.ibm DOT com>
To: JamesHorwath AT glic DOT com
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 09:37:56 +0200
James,

here is what is said on 7.1 release notes:

The native console can now run in unattended mode as the netviewd
daemon, without a user being logged on. This provides the ability to run
the
NetView program as the native console or as the netviewd daemon, with no
loss of functionality.
Previous versions of the NetView program required that a native console be
running in order for the Web Console to access map data. This posed
problems
in environments where the NetView server ran with no operator in
attendance, because it required that a user always be logged onto the
system
and be running the native console.

On UNIX, the native console and the netviewd daemon can be run
simultaneously. When netviewd starts up, it tries to open the default map
in
read-write mode. While netviewd has the read-write map open, all other
users
running NetView consoles are limited to read-only versions of the default
map
and all pertinent read-only map restrictions will apply. If a user wants to
use
the read-write map, they must either stop and unregister the netviewd
daemon and start the native console or use the -dconsole option to the
netview script by typing:
netview -dconsole
This option temporarily suspends the netviewd daemon and allows the
NetView program to be opened with the default map in read-write mode. The
netviewd daemon is restarted automatically when the native console exits.
Because the current map is closed and a new read-write map is opened, any
open connections to the Web Console's Submap Explorer will be lost and a
new
Submap Explorer must be opened at the Web Console.

I think that's what you're looking for. don't hesitate to ask if you need
more help.

Regards,

Denis PEUZIAT
Tivoli Netview Administrator

                      JamesHorwath@glic

                      .com                     To:       nv-l AT lists.tivoli
DOT com
                                               cc:

                      03/06/2003 22:09         Subject:  [nv-l] WEB
client/console access

I have a statement followed by a question.  I found we have users who rely
on using NetView web console for access.  I am new here and this was a
surprise to me.  I am not really familiar with the WEB console. I have 3
maps defined: MAIN, default and UNIX.  It appears a map is only available
when a person has the map open through the program /usr/OV/bin/netview.  Is
this the case. When I have a map open they are available via the WEB
client, if nobody has the map open the map is not available.  Do I always
need to have a netview program running to allow users access to the WEB
client.  This seems clunky and not too admin or user friendly. Does anyone
have a suggestion on how to get around this problem.  I am running NetView
7.1.2 on AIX 4.3.3.   I didn't see any tidbits mentioned in the WEB Console
User's Guide.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Jim Horwath