nv-l

[nv-l] Duplicate nodes

2003-04-29 12:23:04
Subject: [nv-l] Duplicate nodes
From: awatthey AT mmm DOT com
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 18:20:25 +0200
I'm on Windows 2000 SP3 and Tivoli Netview 7.1.3 with Fixpack1.

I am getting duplicate nodes setup by Netview and I was wondering if there
is something I could do about it.  I think I have tracked it down to the
following.  A PC has two interfaces (SNMP is not running there).  Netview
finds both addresses via its PINGing.  One address resolves through the
DNS server so Netview fills in the correct name.  The other interface
seems to resolve into the same name (but in uppercase instead of
lowercase) and I believe this could be because of WINS.

I notice this because when I set up a smartset (eg. looking for port 137)
it shows both the nodes (one uppercase and one lowercase).

Is there some way I can tell Netview that this is the same node with two
interfaces (ie. merge them together somehow)?  The box in question is in
fact a Windows PC with two interfaces (main and backup).

Does this imply that any box with more than one interface on it will
generate more than one node if SNMP is not active?  I don't think I can
tell my entire world to enable SNMP.  Is there something I could do with
the LMHOSTS file or DNS to combat this?

Regards,
Alan.