nv-l

RE: [nv-l] [NV, DM] UNIX hardware monitoring

2003-03-31 18:06:26
Subject: RE: [nv-l] [NV, DM] UNIX hardware monitoring
From: "Davis, Donald" <donald.davis AT firstcitizens DOT com>
To: "'blane.robertson AT CenterPointEnergy DOT com'" <blane.robertson AT CenterPointEnergy DOT com>, nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com, tme10 AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 17:49:02 -0500

I am running 7.1.3 on AIX 5.1.
Here's a script that I use. I got it from the AIX forum at www.tek-tips.com
I use it to send me e-mail when anything is written to errpt.
With a little massaging you should be able to send a custom SNMP trap or run a command with it too.
I run it from /etc/inittab with the following line:
ErrorRpt:23:respawn:/usr/local/Tivoli/scripts/errmon.ksh  >/dev/console 2>&1

#! /usr/bin/ksh
#
# $0 = errmon.ksh
#
# Written 11/3/1998 Bill Verzal.
#
# This script will run every [interval] and check the error log
# for new entries.  Upon finding them, it will send an email to
# administrators containing a message indicating the change
# in errlog status, as well as the offending lines.
#
if [ "$1" = "-v" ] ; then
   set -x
fi
lc="NULL"
tc="$lc"
# lc="last count"
# tc="this count"
#interval=900
interval=300
# Divide interval by 60 to get number of minutes.
me="$0 - Hardware error monitoring"
myname=`hostname`
args="$*"
#mailto="root"
#mailto="alert"
mailto="donald.davis AT firstcitizens DOT com"
true=0
false=1
boj=`date`

echo "$me started.\nThis message goes to $mailto." | mail -s "Errlog monitoring for $myname" $mailto
logger "$0 started"

while [ "$true" != "$false" ] ; do
   tc=`errpt -dH,S,U,O | wc -l`
   if [ "$lc" = "NULL" ] ; then
      lc="$tc"
   fi
   if [ "$lc" -ne "$tc" ] ; then
      foo=`echo "$tc-$lc"|bc`
      msg="$foo new errors have been found on $myname"
      page_msg="$foo new errors have been found on $myname"
      errlogl=`errpt -dH,S,U,O -a`
      if [ "$tc" -eq "0" ] ; then
         msg="$msg\n Errlog was cleared"
      else
         logger $msg
         msg=" $msg \n Errlog details below:\n $errlogl \n"
         echo "$msg" | mail -s "Errlog status change on host $myname" $mailto
      fi
   fi
   lc="$tc"
   sleep $interval