nv-l

[nv-l] How does NetView determin the selection name of a device

2003-03-17 12:02:15
Subject: [nv-l] How does NetView determin the selection name of a device
From: "Alan E. Hennis" <Hennis_Alan_E AT cat DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 10:57:50 -0600
Esteemed List Members

Here is my configuration

      NetView 7.1.3 FixPack 1
      RedHat Linux 7.2

Can anyone provide some insight as to how NV selects the IP address used to
manage a device? Or more specifically how it selects the name of the
device? I have a Cisco router with the following interfaces

      !
      interface Loopback0
       ip address 172.22.97.69 255.255.255.252
      !
      interface Serial0
       ip address 172.22.97.66 255.255.255.252
      !
      interface FastEthernet0
       ip address 172.22.34.1 255.255.255.0

Here are my seed file entries.

      172.22.97.69             # cimlpeor - This is the loopback address
      %172.22.97.65            # cimlpeor hub - This is used for our BRP
because we have two hub routers one active and one standby

Here are my DNS entries

      Name:   cimlpeor.corp.cat.com       <=== This is the loopback
      Address: 172.22.97.69
      Name:   cimlpeor.corp.cat.com                    <=== This is the WAN
      Address: 172.22.97.66
      Name:   ciml34001.pic.cat.com                    <=== This is the
Ethernet
      Address: 172.22.34.1

I have manually added this device (i.e. Edit -> Add -> Object...) using the
loopback address. The device is added as cimlpeor.corp.cat.com. I do a
demand poll to quickly discover the remaining interfaces and NetView
changes the name of the device to "ciml34001".

I have done a lot of reading about the optimal setup for DNS. Put the
loopback into the forward and reverse lookup and the remaining interfaces
only into the reverse. However for political reasons I may not be able to
do that. I have also read posting about forcing NetView to use the loopback
address for management. I am still a bit confused as to why NetView selects
the device name of ciml34001 instead of what I want to use which is
cimlpeor.

Thanks
Alan E. Hennis
Caterpillar Inc.